April 19, 2010

Eclipse Charity Quilt: The Volturi

The Volturi by Mel
We don't make exceptions. And we don't give second chances. It's bad for our reputation. -Jane, Eclipse, page 578

This block gave me cold sweats and waking nightmares! It was a very important part of the book for me, and being a Volturi fan, I wanted to get this just right. I had the idea of having the Volturi guard, with Jane at the head, holding skulls. The skulls are meant to represent the fact that to the Volturi, Bella's life is going to be over one way or the other. It was then suggested that I put a forest background, to make it fuller. The Forest block is a design by Cat, and was paper pieced. I used what I hope looks like a stormy sky fabric because that's how I remember the scene form the book. The two guard Volturi in the back are holding skulls, which are actually buttons. The Volturi are appliquéd. In the front, you can see Jane, engulfed in fire to represent her very special Pain talent. Also, her cloak was made out of a black fabric with some flowers in it, as when I was watching the special features for New Moon, I realized they used a flowered fabric for her cloak. I thought it would be cool to use this in my representation. If you have been following our blog, you will most probably notice that the Volturi look practically the same as they did in my last block, for the New Moon quilt. I thought why mess with something that worked well for me??? So I used Heat 'N Bond and zigzag stitched my way through the Volturi! However, I added a little twist this time: red French Knot eyes. I hope this lives up to expectations! (I'm still hyperventilating at the thought of making this block...which I volunteered for!!!)

-Mel

4 comments:

wanda said...

Your block makes me shiver! Scarey! Good job! I agree that you kept the same design for the Volturi as they don't change from book to book.

wanda said...

I had to come back to say you deserve a Volturi charm!

Elizabeth said...

Mel, creeptacular! The red French knots for eyes are awesome! And I love the flames!

joyce said...

You know I love your Volturi blocks. You always capture just the right amount of ominous danger.