April 29, 2010

Eclipse Charity Quilt: Penguins

Penguins by Joyce
"You won’t let me be like that. We’ll live in Antarctica."
Edward snorted. "Penguins. Lovely."
-Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, Eclipse, page 26

We wanted to celebrate the humor in Eclipse and enjoyed all the discussions between Bella, Edward and Charlie about where to apply and attend college.

I used the Wee Penguin design by Jennifer Ofenstein on Sewhooked.

If you've read about my other blocks, you'll recognize some of the fabrics. The feet are the yellow from the Forks high school sign. The beak is the batik used on the fish in the Nature block. The whites are also used in the Nature eagle, and the black was also used for Bella's silhouette. I wanted an icy blue for the sky, and loved the sparkly blue for the water.

I designed the school pennants on Printmaster and printed them on printable fabric, then cut them to size along with the 'sticks' and Steam-a-Seamed them onto the block. The penguin's eyes are black beads.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Joyce, your Wee Penguin is absolutely adorable. I love the blue sparkly water fabric and the pennants are awesome! You did a wonderful job!

Angie said...

I love how the white on his chest looks like a tuxedo shirt. :D

Mel said...

great block, Joyce! I really like how the pennants came out, and I LOVE the blue sparkly!!!

Wanda said...

So cute Joyce! I love the pennants too!