April 25, 2010

Eclipse Charity Quilt: Nature

Nature by Joyce
You see it everywhere. Nature taking its course - hunter and prey, the endless cycle of life and death. And yet, you don't see the fish trying to plant a kiss on the eagle. You never see that. -Jacob Black, Eclipse, page 109

I read and re-read the section of Eclipse where Bella visits Jacob and they talk on the beach. I drew what I thought it might have looked like, then searched through pictures of eagles and salmon. I combined elements from many pictures to create the eagle in the position I wanted.

The sky is a batik that varies in color. It is one of my favorites. I used a darker batik for the water and sewed the two together. The beach came next, and I added some curves to give the feel of waves coming ashore. Having finished the foundation, I started cutting out the characters and details.

Bella is black with a treble clef design. Jacob is black with a 'furry' design. I drew the tree freehand and adjusted it to curve and turn with the designs on the fabric where possible.

The fish was drawn freehand and is a batik fabric which goes from yellows to purples. The eagle has many fabrics and is layered. I used Lite Steam A Seam 2 to attach everything and sewed where I wanted a bit more detail. The eye of the eagle is a french knot.

I think this is probably my favorite block. I really like how it turned out and hope you do, too.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Joyce, the fallen tree is really amazing. You totally worked the fabric to its best advantage! The eagle is really awesome as well. This block is fantastic! Great job!

Mel said...

Ok, this block is so freakin' fantastic!!!! I'm in awe at your mad skills, Joyce! I adore that sky fabric. Nice choice!!! And the eagle. WOW. I haven't enough words in my vocabulary to say how much this block rocks!!!

Unknown said...

this is awesome block! I love it!!
Way to go Joyce!

Wanda said...

Joyce, this is just wonderful! You are soooooo talented!