September 26, 2011

Breaking Dawn Charity Quilt: The Nomads

“Are there a lot of . . . your kind?” I was surprised. How many of them could walk among us undetected?

“No, not many. ... Most won't settle in any one place. ... Nomads, for the most part. We've all lived that way at times. It gets tedious, like anything else.”
–Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, Twilight, page 290

“We'd need quite a show of witnesses,” Rosalie said harshly, her voice brittle as glass.

“We'll have to ask them just right,” Alice murmured. ... “Some of the nomads—Garrett and Mary for certain. Maybe Alistair.”

“What about Peter and Charlotte?” Jasper asked.
Breaking Dawn, page 550-551

Design and piecing by Joyce

Nomadic Vampires wander the globe. I selected a batik for the background. The world is made with a sparkly blue fabric that looked like water. I cut out as much as I could of the Western Hemisphere and used my favorite Steam A Seam Lite 2 to attach the pieces. Since the Nomads travel, I wanted their footprints. I started with a silver fabric, but it didn't look right, so I changed to a black fabric with stars that one of the Twi-Quilters sent me.

I satin stitched the globe, but left the other pieces raw. I think it captures the Nomads pretty well, and hope you like it!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Joyce, another great block! The colors are fantastic! I love the background fabric against the blue you used for the globe (it really does look like water). Also love the texture in the continent fabric. So fun!

xo -E

Beth said...

I love the water fabric - perfect! And the footprints are spot on to convey the nomads...all across the world. =)

Wanda said...

This is very creative..love the walk across the earth! Very nice Joyce!