October 5, 2011

Breaking Dawn Charity Quilt: Alice, Vampire Bat in the Belfry

“Bella gets in the way. She’s all wrapped around it, so she’s . . . blurry. Like bad reception on a TV—like trying to focus your eyes on those fuzzy people jerking around on the screen. It’s killing my head to watch her. And I can’t see more than a few minutes ahead, anyway. The . . . fetus is too much a part of her future. When she first decided . . . when she knew she wanted it, she blurred right out of my sight. Scared me to death.”

She was quiet for a second, and then she added, “I have to admit, it’s a relief having you close by—in spite of the wet-dog smell. Everything goes away. Like having my eyes closed. It numbs the headache.”
–Alice Cullen, Breaking Dawn, page 276-277

Alice wants you too. She says she’s tired of hanging out in the attic like the vampire bat in the belfry. –Seth Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, page 290

Design and piecing by Colleen

I chose to represent Alice with the Bat in the Belfry block. I love the way Alice and Jacob bond a little when the “fetus” is giving Alice headaches. I found pictures of belfries on the internet. I liked this one because it was white like the Cullen house in the books. I used a white fairy frost fabric and a slightly darker beige fabric with a subtle lace pattern on it for the tower. Those fabrics seemed very Alice to me. I also used a black sparkly fabric for the bat (thanks Iris!). I lucked into the background fabric and it was exactly what I was looking for to provide a background with trees.

5 comments:

Jennifer Ofenstein said...

How lovely!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful block! I love all the details. The background fabric is really great and the fairy frost is awesome! Also, love the sparkly bat.

xo -E

joyce said...

Excellent job, Colleen! The tower is beautiful, and I love the sparkly bat! The background fabric with the trees is perfect. I love it!

Beth said...

I love the background fabric too! And like you, I loved watching Jacob's dynamic change with the family members, especially Alice. It was heart-warming to see one of the Cullen's actually NEEDING him around. Excellent block!

whimsyfox said...

I got to see this one in person and it is just awesome. great fabric choices all around!