May 26, 2010

The Virtues of Fairy Frost


Fairy Frost is a fabric line by Michael Miller and is a favorite in our group because it is shiny and sometimes even sparkly. As we all know, vampires sparkle and since we quilt about vampires, Fairy Frost is a great pick. (Comments with the words real vampires don't sparkle, or any combination thereof, will be immediately deleted. It is not up for debate, but next time you meet a real vampire, you can ask him and then we'll discuss.) Elizabeth (that's me) has been named the Queen :queen: of the Fairy Frost because of my large stash (50 colors and counting, pictured in part above) and frequent use of Fairy Frost in my Twilight quilt blocks. I named Angie the Fairy Frost :princess: Princess. See why here.

Fairy Frost comes in a rainbow of colors, each with a really cool name. Generally the color is tonal and splotchy with a pearlescent or metallic overlay. These have a really nice shimmer to them. Sometimes the overlay is pearlescent and metallic, which gives it a kind of shimmery marbled effect (Natural Fairy Frost). There are a few colors like Aqua, Diamond, Evergreen, Garland, Glimmer, Holly Berry, Platinum and Twinkle which have a glitter overlay.

The least expensive place we've found for Fairy Frost is MaryJo's, a fabric mecca in North Carolina with mountains of fabrics at thimble-sized prices (just in case you thought I was clever enough to come up with that terrific, albeit slightly mixed, metaphor, it's their tag-line. I totally stole it off their site). Unlike most other on-line fabric stores, their shipping is flat-rate and so sometimes that makes up for the great discount on their fabrics when you factor that into the total cost. However, they do have a great selection. If you are looking for a certain color of Fairy Frost (or other fabrics as well) and MaryJo's doesn't have it, Quiltshops.com is a great tool because you can search by name and then comparison shop for the best price.

If you're not sold on Fairy Frost yet, and Twilight and quilting about vampires isn't your cup of tea how'd you end up here? you can add a little shimmer to more traditional quilting. Check out this amazing quilt that Angie is working on for her neighbor. The turquoise and olive checkers are Fairy Frost as is the coral. They really make this quilt.

Here's a bigger shot of the quilt, called Autumn in New England, and you can read about how this quilt came to be on Angie's blog.

You would think we were getting paid to advertise Fairy Frost. But we're not. Michael Miller, if you're out there trolling blogs for people who think Fairy Frost is fabulous, we're your number 1 fans (and we wouldn't mind if you sent something fabulous and shiny our way)!

4 comments:

Judy said...

I love Fairy Frost! I have two entire quilts made of Fairy Frost. I'm using it extensively in the Twilight BOM project.

Angie said...

Awwww, I get to be the Princess! Only time in my life this statement would excite me. :D

Melly said...

I have discovered the joys of FF when I joined you gals, and I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!!! Used tons of it in my daughter's quilt.

coley said...

I need a better paying job, then I can buy some FF!! LOL!